Friday, July 13, 2012

Lady Soul

Lady Soul when I get wayward and stray away from you all I have to do is listen to some of your sons and daughters to regain my footing.  When the entrapping beats and rhymes of hip-hop get a hold of me I have a tendency to forget about the music that nourishes my inner being, and it is you lady soul!  I can turn to Erykah Badu and listen to her "Baduizm" and it quickly conjures up the moment that I fell in love with a new version of Soul. I am cautious to ignore the power behind "Mama's Gun" as I take a trip through the "Worldwide Underground".   That underground excursion leads me to the discovery of a "New Amerykah" which is split up into two parts only to equal one whole perspective of our society. After that trip when I get back above ground I turn to Chrisette Michelle and I'm reminded of who "I Am", almost as if it is an "Epiphany" that inspires me to "Let Freedom Reign" eternally.  As I continue on my soulful journey I take a moment to enjoy some Choklate and send out a letter "To Whom it May Concern".

Once I have penned you a letter Lady Soul I can consult D'Angelo and call you my "Brown Sugar" all because of the "Voodoo" that you do with your enticing and seductive melodies.  I don't think that D-Lo is finish after his BET Awards performance he has only given us his "Best so Far". Lady Soul like Bilal you make me wanna call you my "Soul Sista".  Dang Lady Soul you got me fighting temptations because "Everything I Do" seems to be somehow connected to you.  Bilal tried to make we believe that you have "Love for Sale" but I'm convinced that money can't by me love.

Lady Soul I have to take Dwele's lead and make the point that you are my "Subject" because your are "Some Kinda...".  Like Dwele when I think of the impact you have had on me Lady Soul I have to examine the "Sketches of a Man" as I have wrestled with my the three W's "Wants, World, and Women".

Lady Soul I have to return to your daughter of royalty, the Queen of R&B and Soul Mary J. Blige. She made me wonder "What's the 411?" and contemplate "My Life" only to get a grip and want to "Share My World."  Lady Soul "Mary" made me want "No More Drama" and embrace "Love and Life" as I experienced "A Breakthrough" after dealing with "Growing Pains".  Along with Mary I became "Stronger with Each Tear" thanks to you Lady Soul and now I am ready to write the next chapter "My Life II...The Journey Continues".

During my college years I discovered your son Musiq Soulchild and I felt that "Aijuswanaseing".  Then he made me "Juslisen" to you so that I could hear your every word an recognize that you are a "Soulstar".  Lady Soul I'm just saying  that I'm "Luvanmusiq" as I listen to you "OnmyRadio".  I want everyone to recognize that there is "MusiqintheMagiq" and it is what makes the world go around.

Lady Soul that girl Jilly from Philly raised the question "Who Is the Real Jill Scott?" my sophomore year in undergrad and she made me concentrate on your words and sounds.  As I got my grown man swag on she made me stop and understand Lady Soul that you are "Beautifully Human" and that at the end of the day you're the "Real Thing".  Lady Soul your essence is 'The Light of the Sun"!  India Arie paid homage to you with her "Acoustic Soul" and invited me to take a "Voyage to India" along with you.  Her two volumes of "Testimony" made me a witness to your spirituality.  Jill and India have helped me to better understand the femininity of a woman.

In her only studio produced album Lauryn Hill put a personal spin on Carter G. Woodson's classic The Mis-education of the Negro and sang with a soulfulness that allowed her lyrical memoir to be held as one of the best album's ever.  As a man I had to recognize how my own mis-education has played a role in exploiting the beauty of God's daughters.  Only you Lady Soul could have bridged that gap for me, and for the lesson I am eternally grateful. Even when she was unplugged on MTV she showcased your influence on her by bearing her soul.

Lady soul the music lover in me has to give honor to the fore-parents of soul: Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knights and the Pips, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, The Tempatainons, The O'Jays, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Teena Marie, Rick James, James Brown, Frankie Beverly and MAZE, Lenny Wilkens, Sly and  the Family Stone, Sam Cooke, and the list goes on!  Thank you Lady Soul for the richness of your beauty!  Without you my life would not have a melody, without you their would be no soundtrack for the highs and lows.  Without you Lady Soul the saga of life would be dull and bland.  Thank you Lady Soul! I look forward to evolving along with you our bond is inseparable.

Shoutout to the Soulquarians!!!

   

Lauryn Hill                                                               Jill Scott                                           Mary J. Blige
           

                                      Musiq Soulchild - So Beautiful....dedicated to you Lady Soul


2 comments:

  1. I love it Rash!! And if you wanna go deeper into lady soul, a generation of all stars of Soul Music quiver in the confines of her bosom thru: N'Dambi, Lala Hathaway, Leela James, Avery Sunshine, Zo!, Maysa, Incognito, Snarky Puppy, The Foreign Exchange, Goapele, Anthony David....and the list goes on and on!! Lady Soul is here to stay...continue to embrace her!!

    ReplyDelete