Thursday, July 14, 2011

"All that and a bag of chips" Teacher Campaign

Dorry, a teacher and fellow UNCCWP Summer Institute group memmber, has giving us an inititative to change the negative perception of teachers in the media by sharing personal testimonies of how we have made a positive impact on our students.  As I listen to my peers I hear stories of courage, care, empathy, sacrifice, dedication, modesty, and passion!  My peers have shared stories of how they reached out to specific students and caused them to believe in themselves and to raise above their own expectations.  They are speaking about how students have given them credit for impacting their lives in ways that they could not have imagined.  I see tears of joy, sorrow, compassion, and fortitude despite budget cuts, regaredless of bureacracy and political positioniong by school boards.  I hear teachers who are pushing beyond their limitations, insecurities, and imperfections to educate their students wholistically: mind, body, and soul.  For those who read this blog my request is that you leave a comment about a teacher that had a positive impact upon you in some way.
I will start the chain by sharing about two teachers that changed my life and I am forever grateful to them.  My 5th grade teacher Mr. Alexander was the first male teacher I had and he stands out in my mind because he would wear a suit and tie to school everyday.  He handled himself like a true professional and he held us to high expectations academically and behaviorally.  That is why he was "All that and a bag of chips" to me!
The other person that stood out to me is Dr. Riggins Earl my "Ethics in Society" professor in grad school.  He showed me what it means to be a scholar and continous learner that is willing to wrestle with concepts and be okay with not having answers.  That is why he is "All that and a bag of chips" to me!

What teacher is "All that and a bag of chips" to you?

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Scripps - My 4th grade teacher had a large golden key above his door with the word "RESPONSIBILITY" on it. He's also one of the teachers who made me want to be a teacher because of his obvious love for us - he cared enough to expect the best of us. Mr. Scripps, you're all that and a bag of chips!

    ReplyDelete