Wednesday, November 23, 2011

To find or be found



To find or be found?  That is the question!  I was having a phone conversation with my friend Mel and we were talking about relationships. She made a comment that inspired my post today!  She stated that she has been thinking about what makes certain people more desirable and inclined to end up in serious relationships than others.  Her internal dialogue is one that many people have wondered over, wrestled with, lamented over in anguish, and been left scratching their head with limited understanding.  We often think of relationships as something that someone finds like a person out on a scavenger hunt looking for hidden secrets or buried treasure.  The notion that someone can find Mr. or Ms. Right is problematic for me because I tend to think that the things that are "right" find us. Well Rashid doesn't that mean at some point one of the individuals does find the other person?  Not necessarily, because if the two individuals are not seeking a relationship, or a person in particular, but the universe aligns and these two individuals that at one point did not know each other meet then technically they found each other.  It's like when you are at home, in the car, or at the store and you discover something that you did not even go looking for.  At that moment you have a favorable feeling to want that item and you either purchase it or at bare minimum discover that you want it. 
I think the same can apply to relationships if we allow ourselves to let the universe operate as it often does.  While I do believe that we are co-creators with the Almighty I believe there are some things that are outside of human capacity to author or produce.  True authentic love, in my opinion, is not created by human beings.  Thus when asked what love is there are varying definitions.  Our different perspectives lead to the ambiguity of what love is.  We have more clarity on what it is not than we do about what it truly is.  Then there is the discussion about the different types and degrees of love (i.e., love for friends, family, humanity in general, agape, and etc.)  With that being said I don't know if I want the task of "finding me" left up to another person that does not have a firm understanding of what they are looking for!  I wonder if archaeologist go out and began excavating without a clear idea of what they are looking for?  I doubt it but I am sure they discover, or find, things that they never intended to find.  The objects they locate were not created with the intention of being found but the universe aligned in such a way that they were.
So I think the answer to my initial question "To find or be found?" is that it is far better to be found by an unsuspecting person that to be a person seeking to find someone.  Gold and diamonds are not aware that they are a treasure until we place value upon them!  When you find yourself and identify that you are a treasure you determine your own value.  When two people who know their value and worth meet the real magic happens!  So to my friend Mel continue to evolve and know thyself and when the universe aligns you will be found...as will he.

3 comments:

  1. Dude! You have so got your writing on. I can't tell you how happy I am every day this week to see your posts showing up on my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another response from 1101: http://stefanietesta.blogspot.com/2012/08/reflection-to-find-or-to-be-found.html?showComment=1347196532216#c5692988828850374467

    ReplyDelete