Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Denial's Entrapment

You must be joking?
Are you serious?
But I thought...
Well that can't be the case!
You must not be doing something right because that cannot be the case!
These are the words we find ourselves reciting when we find ourselves confronted with troubling news or when receive some information that knocks the wind out of us like a swift kick from the hoof of a Clydesdale.

Our cognitive dissonance rises to the surface deflecting the obvious in a hope to retain our former reality...our false reality at times.  Within if we truly were in tune with our soul we felt something was wrong.  The fear of the unknown. The fear of being labeled. The fear of being judged. The fear of other's perceptions or even our own perceptions cause us to play a psychological game of dodgeball. Like a game of freeze tag we do not want life to tag us and say "Freeze".  If I freeze I may just have to sit in the pain...I may have to allow the reality of my situation to set in and I don't know if I could bare it.  My protest of your help is destructive but I don't want your help because for you to assist me means I have to accept it and for me that would make me feel trapped! 

No comments:

Post a Comment