Saturday, April 20, 2013

Lonely's the only company

Crowded bar of people engaged in conversation and the one person that stands out to me is a woman on the otherside of the bar. She's typing away on her phone only to briefly glance up at the TV. Stephen Curry drains a three to tie the game! She seems unmoved by the events unfolding on the screen as she sips her Corona in a chilled glass. Andre Miller scores the winning basket for the Denver Nuggets to win game 1 of their series against Golden State.  Despite the outcome she remains unnerved in the least bit. Back to her phone she returns possibly engaging in some social media outlet. Maybe she is checking her email.  She could be texting her friend or a potential guest that she is awaiting.  Either way she has caught my attention. Not because of her beauty.  Not because she is wearing some gaudy attire. No she has garnered my attention out my curiosity of whether she is sitting at the bar by herself because of the same reason I am here alone.  Could she, like me, be here because she is in need of feeling like a stranger? Is she in need of the feeling of being unknown in a room of people sharing conversation with other people they are intentionally engaged in community with?  Is she content with being in an atmosphere that is filled with chatter, noise from the tv, plates clacking, drinks being ordered, a dishwasher running, and the feet of servers constantly moving?  I guess not because as she finishes her drink she leaves...she leaves...she leaves.  She leaves and I am left feeling my original thoughts that lonely's the only company.

No comments:

Post a Comment