Monday, March 17, 2014

No Echo

Music needs no clouds to echo
The soul needs no physical body to be felt.  The reverberations of sound have no container which can trap it or hold it hostage. True love cannot be ignored or denied. As much as we try to deny what we feel the reality is we cannot. Just like a wind chime that rings continuously until it is inaudible the heart beats until it no longer can be heard.
A familiar song plays in my head as if the singer recorded it there. Only I can hear it yet I can't help but to hum it aloud. A woman near by turns and begins to bob her head. Before you know it she is mouthing the words moving her body in syncopation. I notice her in the corner of my eye and turn my head to get a glimpse of her. I hum louder watching her intently. She seems to not even notice me staring at her. My hum becomes louder and before I realize it I'm moving closer. She must have felt my presence drawing near because she turned and looked at me. As we made eye contact I continued to hum and she kept right on singing.  Then all of a sudden the train arrived and the doors opened. We snapped out of our daze of melody and song. She turned and looked at the open doors of the train then she looked back at me. Without reaching out physically I felt her pull me closer. Then she immediately turned and boarded the train. I stood paralyzed as the doors closed and the train began to move. Our eyes locked as the train slowly moved along.  In that moment all I could do was hum the melody as I looked on. As I hummed I heard her singing the rest of the words in my head.  Interestingly, her voice and my humming wasn't the only sound I heard. Underneath it I heard my heart beating in my ear like the echo of a voice in a cave.

No comments:

Post a Comment